Monday, October 10

Out and About and a Little Taste to Come

With Gencon over, I have been feeling the Warmachine burn out. I wish I could say that I have been forcing myself to attend game days here locally and grind it out, but luckily (and unfortunately) the fall always picks up in terms of travel. So, instead of feeling less excited about Warmachine & Hordes, I ended up flying out to Seattle and Austin and I will find myself in San Diego this week. Coupled with various business meetings here locally, I am now excited again to get into the mix.

It also helps that our community has doubled in size and that given the size and new league formats, I am running two leagues side-by-side. And to prevent future burn out, I have returned back to Skorne, much like what Mike has done as well (that should explain the lack of Mercenary related-posts by him). Unfortunately, my travel to San Diego will prevent me from sharing in the near future, so I leave you with this tidbit.


I have been looking at my Ferox, filling out the unit to max and picking up Tyrant Rhadiem in the process. I can think of several ways to use them and I plan on it for an upcoming tournament. Some fun ones are:
1. Tyrant Commander - This one is easy to spot, +2" of movement for advancing only. There's better use of the TC, but when you do not need to give the battle plans out to another unit, the Ferox make great choices.
2. Makeda 1 - Combine the above with Savagery and now you have +7" of movement. It gives them, with Leap, a total threat range of 22"! Makeda can bring them back from the dead as well, if the unit lives.
3. Xerxis - With small and medium based models not blocking LOS (Tall in the Saddle & Xerxis' inherent abilities), you could potential charge from behind a Cetrati. However, you need to remember that with Ferox being large based models, they cannot move through your friendly faction small/medium based models. Defenders Ward increases the survival of the unit and Fury allows them to hit much harder. I do have a difficult time fitting them in the list, given my use of Arcuarii and Cetrati, but Ferox are more maneuverable than both units.
4. Extoller - Useful only on one model, so better with Rhadiem, given the Pathfinder capability, our cav and dragoon can easily charge through forests. Not the best use of the model, but if you have an Extoller in your list with Ferox, remember this.
5. Krea - Like the Extoller, I would be hesitant about taking the Krea solely to protect the Ferox. However, if you have both in your list, the Krea makes killing them at range extremely difficult; ranged is actually the one complaint I have with any cav model. It is low enough defense that a dedicated ranged model/unit would have difficulty hitting and with CRA's and boosted shots from warbeasts, the last thing you need from your opponent is some lucky rolls against the model. The Krea mitigates this a little bit by buffing the armor and defense of the Ferox. Additionally, charging the Krea in with its animus up makes the Ferox a little more accurate, which is huge on a non-charge attack.

There's more to come!

No comments: