Thursday, March 17

Well, Now I'm Confounded - Mercs or Cryx

So the worst thing someone well meshed in this game can do is read the Cryx Privateer Press forums. It is nearly as bad as others, but for all its merits, the amount of whining that occurs and model bashing is atrocious. And for me, it challenges me to find uses for models people disdain. Merc forums - almost never a problem! Probably just the poor Talon.

So this leads up to the leaked information on the Scavenger. A lot of naysayers (even without testing the model). However, because of the usual naysayers, I have every intention in making this model work and I have been thinking for a few nights now how to.

1. It's not going to be our Deathjack, Gerlak, or Tartarus. Those days are long over. However, it offers unique abilities that for four points, is not half bad.
2. It's not going to be a caster killer or if it is, it's to finish up a failed attempt. Back up I like to call it. The game is about dice. Sometime the dice go your way, other times it does not.
3. In a vacuum, it pales to some other bonejacks, namely the Deathripper.

 Honestly though, there's some other interactions we need to consider. Multi-wound troops. Sure, I can send the Deathripper in, kill one or two. However, with Corrosion or other "plinking" damage (sprays, failed attacks, etc), I can swing the Scavenger in as well, kill one, and then get the hell out of there. With Finisher, on the charge, I'm looking at 4d6 of damage and a good MAT too. Ghost Walk? Helps both, but because of wings, I can fly over the enemy models. True, we have ways to get around models too (Curse of Shadows, Veil of Mists), but it's handy if I am not able to use those options immediately.

So what would I use them in? My go-to Coven list. It's an alternate version replacing a couple of models and turning my "standard" Coven list into more of an Attrition/Hit&Run list.

Coven
-2x Scavengers (replacing 2x Stalkers)
-2x Deathrippers
-Slayer (Replacing Nightmare)
Min Bloodgorgers
Min Bile Thralls (Replacing Nightmare & a Necrotech/Scrap Thrall)
Gerlak
Pistol Wraith
Skarlock

Two might be overkill, so one Stalker and one Scavenger or fill out the Bloodgorgers or Biles and shove back in the Necrotech would probably work. I like the list and it is something I'm comfortable with. My second list for the NJ Civil War would be eGoreshade, but commenting on that list is rather bland (Leviathan and banes. Lots of Banes)

So now that I made the list, I actually like it. A lot. Even though I'm swearing off Cryx and really want to play Mercs I can't help but look at both of them and say to myself, Hell, I could tear people apart with those lists.

On the flip side, I have been getting practice in with my Mercs instead.

Ashlynn
-Nomad
Gunmages + UA
-Mule
Max Forgeguard
Piper
Anastasia
Corbeau
Gorman
A&H and Rhupert (both choices may be replaced with a Vanguard)

and eMagnus, stacking Ragman, Calamity, Gorman, and A&H onto a warjack. (technically steelheads would be hitting with P+S of 19 against a warjack) or just train wrecking units with Max Steelheads and Max Cav.

What to do what to do....poll is up.

No comments: