Monday, February 28

Week 1 Growth League - Epic Magnus

A while back I discussed Magnus the Warlord for the growth league I am currently running. Well, the first week of 15 points has passed and the results are in.


For a refresher, the list:
eMagnus
-Renegade
-Mangler
Kell Bailoch
Min Trenchers

I am 3-2 for the league and I have to say that the list performed as expected. Kell was a superstar, taking out key models here and there that permitted my charges. The Trenchers always got the first attack on the enemy and in four games also fled, rallied, and helped with the end assassination attempt. This was always more than I expected and it was pretty awesome watching the Trenchers actually work. Dig In was not used at all to any game changing effect, neither was the smoke, but I think at 25 and 35 I will alter the way I use them. Using the Renegade also to mix things up with ranged, arc spells, and, with Magnus' bond, going in and just shredding apart the enemy. I found myself every game casting a different set of spells with Magnus, usually opening Turn 1 with Mobility, but throwing out Calamity if needed or Bullet Dodger on Kell (or Magnus himself). Mangler was almost a throw-away warjack, using it to beat down enemey warjacks, tying them up and letting Magnus and the Renegade do the dirty work. I cannot recall a single game where the Mangler lived to the end of the battle (I believe there was one game...).

My two losses involved me pointing out to my opponent, first time Cryx player with eGaspy, a different sort of assassination outside of warjacks, and a simple stupid placement of Magnus against a Bethalyne list. The first was not intentional, but as a PG I am more than happy to point out creative ways to assassinate that players may not see. My wins were against the Old Witch, pGoreshade, and Reznik.

Next week is the 25 pt Death Race tournament I am running, but I am bringing my 25 points to the table should people have a bye or wish to play me for a league match:
eMagnus
-Renegade
-Mangler
Kell Bailoch
Gorman Di Wulfe
Min Trenchers
-WA
-UA
--Talon

At this level, I get the focus efficiency to still spell-assassinate if I need to while I now have two snipers on the field. The WA is necessary to deal with any infantry heavy list while the Cautious Advance is merited for a more conservative approach to the Trenchers. The Jack Marshalled Talon is simple actually. In looking at the cheap light warjacks - Buccaneer, Talon, and Vanguard - I have two with an assault order that, due to the Jack Marshal ability - requires me to use the "focus" to charge, rather than boost the ranged attack/damage or melee attack. The Vanguard is a good warjack with Shield Guard, but I prefer more offensive coordination and the Talon, with its Powerful Charge, fits the bill better. Plus I would be loosing out on a needed AOE (even if it is only 3" template from the Trencher WA). The Buccaneer is too situational and may not last against a heavy, which the Talon would go up against. I'm feeling a lot better about this T1 list than others I have made with eMagnus, so here is to next week!

No comments: